Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Everything to God in Prayer

I just realized something this morning.  I have been thinking, worrying, planning, and wondering about so many things, but I haven't prayed about any of them.  Why???

I have so many decisions I have to make.  I've been trying to figure out how to do everything and still keep everyone happy.  Why have I been trying so hard to do this on my own?  It's impossible for me.  But God never intended for me to do it on my own.

As I was pondering this, I realized that I am viewing God as I view my earthly Father.  I love my dad and he has always been a great provider.  But we don't have the kind of relationship where I seek his guidance on daily things.  When things get really tough, I know I can turn to him and he will offer wisdom and support.  Maybe it's because I'm the firstborn, I don't know, but I tend to be really self-sufficient.  I try to handle most things on my own.  I take care of the 90% and seek God for the other 10%.

But that's not how it's suppose to be with God.  He's not just this special gift that we pull out when we need something big - like a genie in a bottle.  My relationship with God should be different from any earthly relationship.  God should be, wants to be, deserves to be my 100%.  God should be my source; my strength should come from Him.  He desires the kind of relationship where I turn to Him for EVERYTHING!

I'm reminded of the lyrics from the hymn, What a Friend We Have in Jesus:


O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.


What's on your mind today?  What are you thinking about?  What is causing you to worry?  Are there decisions you have to make?
Take them to God in prayer!  

9 comments:

  1. Nice reminder for me this morning. I've read many times that the moment we start to worry we need to turn those thoughts into prayers to God. It's such any easy concept but SO hard to remember to do sometimes. Thank you for the challenge to do it today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are times I have tried doing everything on my own and they never get done. Why? Because I haven't included God in all of these. God wants to help us and we really need to let Him. Thanks for a great reminder. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too often I forget to turn to God first. I am nothing, I am unworthy. On my own, I can NOT do anything. I need God. I am learning to turn to Him first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen sister, He knows it all anyway and He WANTS us to trust Him enough to tell Him all about our "woes" Thank God we don't have to go through this life alone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So encouraging! We tend to get so busy that we move about in auto-pilot mode... and then we hit a bump in the road and realize that we've been going it alone. This just reminds me how easy it is to become complacent and numb by the hectic life I lead. I need to stop, seek and move... stop, seek and move. Thanks, blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm learning the importantance of prayer in experiencing the peace of God...you can't have His peace without prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great words, "I take care of the 90% and seek God for the other 10%." That is painfully true. If we are honest with ourselves that might be the percentages we spend on ourselves versus time with God. Wonderful post!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, your words truly spoke to my heart today. While I strive to make God a part of everything I do, I know that in reality I fall far short of that mark. He needs to be the first place I turn for comfort and support, and the first One I praise when His Blessings become most evident.

    Thank you for the reminder!

    Have a Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa you speak the truth! I am also guilty of trying to take care of 90% on my own. He has been working on my heart to come to Him more in prayer.

    Thank you and have a blessed day,
    Ken

    ReplyDelete